Recently in USA Category
January 29, 2014
June 15, 2011
What began as a challenge in a blog post on the Harvard Business Review website has resulted in a collection of 300 design submissions from around the world. The $300 House Open Design Challenge is complete, with judges picking their final selections after much deliberation, and an extension, in order to go through the entries in detail.
Winners were selected in combination with votes from the community and a panel of judges comprised of expert designers, architects, and thought leaders. The winners share $25000 in total prize money which includes $10,000 in cash awards to the top 16 placements as voted by the community itself, and $15,000 in scholarships to attend a prototyping workshop for six participants (three selected by the community, and three by the judges panel).
The winners of the prototyping workshop scholarship are
(listed by username):
"We're delighted by the depth and breadth of the submissions we received," says Vijay Govindarajan, Professor of International Business and the Founding Director of Tuck's Center for Global Leadership. "Hosting this contest on Jovoto's open, co-creation platform gave us a wealth of ideas and identified the people who we believe have the passion, skill, and commitment, to take the project to the next level, prototyping and actually building a $300 house for the poor. We invite all the participants to continue the discussion at www.300house.com."
May 27, 2011
Special thanks to the Jovoto team - Nathalie, Nadine, Peter (x2), Bastian, and Shaun at Mutopo for making this happen - without your generosity we'd never have gotten off the ground. Thanks also to Scott Tew from Ingersoll Rand for your willingness to try this experiment.
Now, let the judging begin!
April 9, 2011
The following questions were sent to VG and Christian by Shraya, a 4th grader in Miss Mancosh's class. Her mentor for this project is Miss Emily Pasquale. Thanks for your questions, Shraya!
March 10, 2011
VG explains the rationale behind the $300 House. Watch >>
February 26, 2011
Read all about the Urban Challenge on the Harvard Business Review blog>>
February 13, 2011
“The problem is that 90 percent of the world’s designers spend all their time working on solutions to the problems of the richest 10 percent of the world’s customers. A revolution in design is needed to reverse this silly ratio and reach the other 90 percent.”
Paul Polak in Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
Here are Paul’s 12 steps to practical problem solving for the poor:
- Go to where the action is.
- Talk to the people who have the problem and listen to what they have to say.
- Learn everything you can about the problem’s specific context.
- Think big and act big.
- Think like a child.
- See and do the obvious.
- If somebody has already invented it, you don’t need to do so again.
- Make sure your approach has positive, measurable impacts that can be brought to scale.
- Design to specific cost and price targets.
- Follow practical three-year plans.
- Continue to learn from your customers.
- Stay positive: don’t be distracted by what other people think.
For all the designers out there, these principles should be applied to the design and implementation of the $300 House. Paul Polak’s approach at D-REV and IDE is the direction is which Design must go if is to make a difference in the world.
November 29, 2010
See this article: Buyers Flock To Ridiculously Small Homes During Downturn >>
The problem I have with these houses is the price: between $20,000 and $50,000; looks like a major reverse innovation opportunity for the $300 House!